<$BlogRSDURL$>
Photo of worker adjusting a wireless access point.

Worker adjusting the wireless access point outside my window.

Featured Tag: Wireless

Main Tags
art blogging learning mac movies other politics science tech wireless

The PF HYPER Blog

Monday, July 20, 2009
 
Officially laid off today from my web developer position at the U of MN
Update: Original post title said I was "laid" today. I wasn't. I was "laid off." Oops.

I have 28 days left with the Masonic Cancer Center IT dept. My options
at the moment include:

1. Bumping someone of lower seniority and taking their job.
2. Going on the "layoff list" where I get priority for jobs I'm qualified for.
3. Taking the severance package which includes 8-weeks salary,
vacation payout, and healthcare at current employee cost for a year
(and I still qualify for unemployment).

I will leave the Cancer Center with a Masters in Public Affairs from
Humphrey (if I finish a paper and pass the stats class by the end of
the summer session). So I am seriously considering option #3. With
unemployment, I should have a nice cushion to look for something in a
policy/strategy area or maybe help a group use the social web. I have
ideas. I have dreams.

If I go that route I will be interested in any freelance web work to
help pay the bills. Or how about a freelance web project that has a
social web component to it? I have some great ideas. I have deep
blogging and twitter experience and I can fake it on Facebook.

If you have some ideas (or work) for me, I'm pfhyper at gmail.

Posted via email from Peter's posterous


|

Powered by Blogger